About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Thursday 19 December 2013

City Breaks - Memphis a sunday night tale




Last year while I was in Memphis this happend on the Sunday night.

I made my way to Beale Street about 6pm with the intention of getting a meal while it was quiet, then take in some live music and possibly meet some new people.

When I arrived I didn't feel ready to eat so I made the decision to go in "The Tap Room" which was the only place with no live music, my intention to see if any of the locals would play me at Pool.
The place was virtually empty with the exception of two blokes on a Pool table and the pretty young girl serving behind the bar.

I got a beer from the girl, she told me she was bored, she had been working all day and finished soon. I was about to go ask the blokes if I could get a game of Pool when the Girl asked "Do you want to play with me ?". I replied why not assuming she played Pool.
She climbed over the bar sat down at side of me and spun a VDU screen around. She wanted to play a computer game, I hate computer games but I obliged.

After a short while I was saved when another customer, a  blond girl who was really attractive came in the bar and sat down at the bar. She looked totally out of place in that bar but we started chatting and I found out she was from Kansas and was in Memphis on business.
I stayed chatting with her untill around 9pm when she said she was going back to her Hotel to catch up on some work ready for a meeting the morning. I wasn't too dissapointed I was starving (I did asked her earlier if she wanted to go for something to eat but she had already done so).

So I went and dined on my own at a restaurant called "Pig" which is actually quite good.
After my meal I thought I'll go into a club "Blues Hall" for some live music. As I went to the bar to get a drink the singer was taking a bucket around the audience for tips. He came up to me and I put a couple of dollars in his bucket and he asked where I was from, I replied Yorkshire, England, he announced this to the audience.

As I got to the bar a lady (40ish) said your from England so am I. We got in conversation, she was from Bournmouth at the opposite end of England to me. She told me she was recently divorced and had treated herself to this vacation. It was on an organised tour and she was moving on to Nashville the following morning (thinking about this  wonder if it was a Just You or Solos holiday, i'll never know).

We talked for ages and had a lot in common, in fact I spent the rest of the night with her, chatting and listening to the music, we had a good laugh, just got on great.

Anyway here is the point, back then I didn't often swap details with people I meet on vacation.

Confession - The following day when this lady had moved on to Nashville I realised I really liked her a lot and was gutted I hadn't swapped details (I can't even remember her name). Still we live and learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment