About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Monday 3 February 2014

City Breaks - Meet me in St Louis

Later this year (november) on my "Americas Heart & Soul" holiday with Just You I'll be visiting St Louis for the 3rd time. Did it a couple of years ago while doing Route 66 but my first trip there was in 2006 when I did a short City break.

Picture on the right is Charles Lindburgh's plane "spirit of St Louis"

From a sports fan particular football it doesn't hold great memories because it was in one of the bars on Lacledes Landing that I watched England go out of the world cup on penalties to Portugal. Even managed to get the locals supporting England and believe me its one city in America that knows nothing about footie.

Their main sport is Rounders (Baseball) and my hotel was very close to the Busch stadium home to the Cardinals. They were home to Kansas City Chiefs while I was in town and each night the hotel was packed with fans of both teams. Apparently its the big missouri state derby and I learned Kansas City isn't in Kansas, most of it is in Missouri.

Now must say I've normally nothing against American sports fans but took a dislike to Cardinals supporters they are so arrogant, didn't help when some tried to push in front of me in the bar. So when it comes to Baseball I now support whoever plays the Cardinals.

So more about St Louis well the main tourist attraction is the impressive arch otherwise known as the "gateway to the west". Didn't actually go up on this trip but but that to rights during my route 66 visit.







Have already mentioned Lacledes Landing where there are a number of bars and restaurants. Its a old part of town by the Mississippi and good fun on a night. Well who can forget the lovely ladies that serve you in "show me" and the "big bang" piano bar is great fun.
Saying that found a cracking place not on Lacledes landing but past the Busch stadium called "beale on broadway", had live blues playing in the floodlit beer garden, in fact everyone was outside as it was still really hot even late at night. The two ladies behind the bar were a good laugh and remember one night some mouthy Cardinals fans came in and asked for the baseball on the TV only to be told that it was a music bar and to f--- --f to a sports bar if they want to watch the game, made me smile.







St Louis historical Union Station is now a shopping complex with bars and restaurants and well worth a visit.






One place to go for those like me that enjoy walking is Forest Park and its up there with Central Park in New York and Lincoln Park in Chicago. Definately can spend a full day there.









On my rounds I came across a museum, a Zoo, A boat house with a good restaurant, a visitors centre with a cafe, a golf course, a opera house, a tennis centre, a art gallery plus plenty of scenic views.
Just a great place with something for everyone.

So that was St Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment