About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Wednesday 12 February 2014

4 worst things about travelling on your own.

Travelling on Your own has its disadvantages and in my opinion these are 5 of the worst parts :-

1. Eating Out - I never feel comfortable eating in restaurants and if i do visit one tend to rush my food so i can get out. Normally I would eat in Pubs but luckily Irish Pubs seem to be everywhere. One thing I like in America is people actually eat sitting at the bar, never seems right sat at a table on your own.

2. Hotel Rooms - Very few modern hotels have single rooms which usually involves me having to pay the same as a couple. I'm sure it would make sense for hotels when built to include a percentage of smaller single rooms that they could charge a reduced price for. There are lots of us singles out there and i'm sure it would attract plenty of custom especially in touristy cities.
I'm happy with a small room its not that i want to live there (very rarely use the tv), clean, secure, comfy bed & hot water are what i require, I only want to sleep there.
Must admit if i ever get a room with two beds i feel like using both as i'm paying for it.

3. Taxis - Not there fault but can prove to add significant cost to the holiday if you have to use them a lot, if with a group you can split costs. It can start with airport transfers but i try do my homework and find out about public transport or shuttle buses.
Also try make sure i book hotels in the area i want to be so not having to use them on a night, works out better paying a little extra fo a hotel in the city centre than cheaper suberb options.
Many Cities have good public transport passes.

4. Airports - Arguably these can be boring particularly when on your own with nobody to chat with. My music player is a godsend.

What are your hates about solo travel ?

2 comments:

  1. So agree with you about eating alone Mick. I still have to steel myself to go into a pub on my own. Oh by the way did you see that apparently there is an Irish pub in Bled? :)

    Airports don't bother me. I like to people watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think eating alone is definately the part most solo travellers hate most.

    Fair point about people watching can be fun.

    Irish Pub in Lake Bled I didn't know, will look that one up.

    ReplyDelete