About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Tuesday 13 May 2014

Slovenia Mountains & Coast

Well I'm just back from a week in Slovenia with Just You another new destination for me. The fact it was a two centre holiday appealed to me, half the week in the mountains and the rest at the coast. I've done touring holidays which are hectic and beach holidays which can be too laid back for me, so this looked ideal.

Slovenia is a small country with a population of around 2 million but the scenary is stunning as you will see from some of my photos.

The holiday started really the night before at heathrow when three of us (Elaine, Sue and myself)through the Just You forum arranged to meet up in the Three Magpies for a meal. Two other members of the forum not on the holiday (Sally & Cindy) who live nearby joned us which made for a great evening. Of course most of the conversation involved the many Just You holidays we had been on.

The following morning we met the rest of our group plus Mark our tour manager who apparently in a previous life was a Gary Barlow impersonator, still we've all got embarrasing things in our past. He was good and had lots of knowledge about the area.
Our group was the smallest I've been with, only 16 of us, 5 men and 11 ladies but that was good because some recent trips i've been on had over 40 and in my opinion that is too big.

We left London in glorious sunshine only to arrive in Zagreb (yes we flew to Croatia) to heavy rain although fortunately this was the only rain we saw. The transfer to our first hotel in the mountains took around 3 hours and I'll add on our return it was 4 hours which i believe is far too long. A bit of research i've found out direct flights from Manchester, Stanstead, Luton, Gatwick & Heathrow are available to Ljubljana if you are prepaired to use the likes of Easyjet, Slovenian airlines and Wizz. Surely this is preferable for a flight which takes a little over 2 hours, long transfers are a pain.

We arrived at our first hotel the Ribno to find it very isolated in a forest but only a 10 to 15 minute drive from Lake Bled, it was very scenic and i was lucky to get a decent room with a balcony, but some in our group were not so lucky. One complaint is the bathrooms were very small, in fact reckon it would be possible to do the three S's at the same time.
The food wasn't as hot as it should have been but that wasn't helped by sharing the dining room with a coach full of South Koreans who seemed to not know how to put the lids back on. They were also a education to watch at breakfast, think they thought they had to get everthing in one go and that you couldn't go up again, many of them attempted to carry two plates, coffee, fruit juice which resulted in numerous things been dropped.
We had one long table for our group but most times at breckie it was just me and the Korean entertainment as rest of our gang were not early starters. That was surprising because most hit the sack earlier than me and it was dissapointing the bar closed at 10pm although could still get a beer by seeing reception.

First morning we visited Lake Bled which I must say is stunning although not as big as I expected (should really do my homework), probably 3 to 4 km around. We took a boat trip to the little island with the church on it, most of us climbed the 99 steps to the top. When i said boat ride a bloke (mr grumpy) rowed us across as motor boats are not allowed I believe.


Afterwards we went up to the castle for some stunning views.


Bled itself is nice with some lovely cafes which of course we checked out, they are renowned for their cakes so it would have been rude not to indulge.

The next day it was a visit to another Lake and small town Bohinj which was again very scenic, this time it was a electric boat that took us to the other end of this larger lake and a walk in the woods to a first world war cemetary which was good exercise. On the way back most of our group got dropped off in Bled, some walked around the lake but the lazy among us (guilty as charged) caught the tourist train.












Next day it was our transfer to the coast and to Portroz (port of roses). Our tour manager Mark arranged a 3 hour stop in Ljubljana which i really enjoyed, its a beautiful place. Some of the group got the funicular up to the castle (Martin walked up) while others including myself checked out the market then had a lovely lunch at one of the many restaurants along the river.






Our hotel in Portroz was good but again dissapointed with a bar that closed at 10pm, this time couldn't get a drink. The hotel had a swimming pool but i didn't get chance to try it out. Portroz itself is a nice place but don't expect a beach because there isn't one. Looks plenty to do but as we were very early in the year (season starts end of May) it was very quiet.

It was another boat ride in the morning to the "Salt Pans" described on the Just You website as a highlight of the trip, lets just say the "jury is out" on that one. Following our educational tour of the salt it was back on the boat to Piran a beautiful fishing town (The Whitby of Slovenia is my best description). Enjoyed it a lot and four of us walked back (Peter, Annette, Gillian & myself) and enjoyed a excellent lunch in St Berdardinho.



Next day it was the trip to the Postonya Caves which are fascinating although thought it a long drive just to vistit the caves and think something else could have been included. Believe in the past on the Croatia trip the Horse stud farm was included. Still its something not to be missed.



Our final day was scheduled to be a trip to a Winery but there wasn't enough interest, lets face it many of us regular travellers have done wine tasting in numerous countries and at £60 didn't look great value.
Mark arranged as an alternative a trip over to the border into Italy to the port of Trieste which was much bigger than I expected, was a good trip and in my opinion should become part of the holiday. While there we visited the castle and its gardens, plus a City tour followed by enough free time.

Actually our last night was Friday an the only time the hotel bar stayed open with live music on (would have preffered Mark doing Gary Barlow), sadly we had to be up early for the long transfer to the Airport.

Got to mention the cake shop over the road from our Portroz hotel, coffee and cakes not to be missed as holiday calories dont count.

Then of course there was Marks quiz and confessions game which got everyone involved, in fact was a nice group of people that got on well.

Its a good holiday and a country worth visiting but the transfers need sorting and would be much better in season especially at Portroz.



13 comments:

  1. The Smokescreen13 May 2014 at 18:21

    Cracking review as always Mick, and spot on! Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mick. I was looking forward to a review of this holiday as I had considered it for May. After checking out hotels, resorts, etc I plumped for Tuscany instead. I was concerned that the first hotel would be too isolated, and seems I was right. The second resort looked a bit too 'modern' for me and I saw that there wasn't really a beach. But I see you say that it would probably be ok later in the season. Also it is very close to Porec etc which I visited last year on the Croatia's Istrian Coast holiday. But your photos are stunning so it looks like a good destination once the problems you mention are sorted. Hope you enjoyed it though. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jean,
    Its a nice holiday but felt we were a bit of a trial group, can see it been tweaked a ittle bit in future.
    The first hotel was isolated but it was only 16euros for a 6 seater taxi to Bled, we stayed one day and got one back, splitting 6 ways made it feasable.
    Hope you enjoy Tuscany, its one i've looked at a few times but not yet done.
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Tuscany trip is very nice Jean. I did it last October. Great little hotel and good food. The trips to the cities particulary Pisa and Florence are amazing.

    And yes we were a bit of a trial group. Same thing happened to me first trip out to Cilento but what they have changed there is definitely for the better. They couldn't improve the hotel which was great!

    The Slovenia trip is a really nice one. Just a bit of tweaking will make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mick and Elaine
    Sounds like you might have sorted the trip for me to do next year!! And I still have Chicago/New Orleans trip in November in my sight! As I've said before, I did a very similar trip with Archers last year. It had been my dream holiday and I loved it. Not sure if doing it again would spoil it for me...if you know what I mean.
    Elaine, I loved Tuscany and yes it it a great wee hotel. I've also done the Cilento one. It's still the top one for me. So unspoilt and a lovely setting.
    Choices, choices!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jean,
    Be great if you join us in November, from the people that have been on the forum think its going to be a excellent group, lots of laughs i think.
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely looking for laughs Mick! I'll think about it a bit longer. It's a lot of money and so many other parts of the world to see. And I see they've sneaked another £100 on to the price. The thought of 3 flights to get home is putting me off as well. When I went last year I was able to fly to Glasgow from New Orleans via Newark. With JY I need to add £150 for the connecting flight to and from Heathrow. So pushes the price to £2,550 + meals. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't realise JY have sneaked £100 on the price you think it would go the other way with the £ improving against the dollar. Plus on the last check they had 25 people booked so reckon the Nov trip will be full (40 people apparently) by the time it comes around so more profit for them (break even on US tours i was once told is approx 16 people). The bus & tour manager cost them no extra if there are more people so lots of profit i think.
    £150 is definately a lot for a transfer one of the reasons i drive to heathrow but its only 200 mile for me (3 hours) and would still have a 1hour + drive to a local airport. Actually arranged with one other on the trip who contacted me to travel down together so even better.
    One apealing thing for me is all the hotels are in City Centres so am planning a few good nights out with live music (think lots of sleeping on the coach, lol). Have been to Chicago (many times), St Louis & Memphis so already a few ideas where to go. One of the others on the forum Janib has been to New Orleans & Memphis so between us we wont need a tour manager.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jean,
    Correction think we are doing JY a injustice, the price is still £2299 (Nov 3rd 2014), which is what i booked it for. THe one that is £100 more expensive is in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah sorry, my mistake. Thanks Mick and apologies JY. 40 is a lot on one trip but as you say, more profit for them to pack us in. Have they told you approx flying out and return times from Heathrow? It's cheaper for me to book my own connecting flight, and, depending on time out, might save on an airport hotel too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well 40 was the number i was quoted when i asked Julia on the forum, was that on the National Parks trip and had 45 on Route 66 when did that.
    The flight time quoted so far is 12-50pm with American Airlines from terminal 3 so arrive in Chicago mid afternoon their time. Saying that as always it can change (have had it happen before) and they give a disclaimer saying this. A few on the trip are going down day before and planning a meet up for meal that night.
    Planning a Irish Pub (for food) then Blues Club (both walkable from hotel) on first night so wont be happy if they move to a later flight, i see it as a night off the holiday but has happend before.
    If you decide to book or any questions (heathrow hotels, etc), you can email the address at top of this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Mick. I had a quick look at AA site, and no 12.50 flight showing at the moment. It's 10.15,13.15 or 17.15, so I guess it's 13.15, but I know they can change. My Tuscany flight was changed 4 times! I'll let you know what i decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes had a look at the AA site myself and the 13-15 matches the flight number (also says that time on the JY website).
    However have asked the question on the forum, its silly they cant send right time out.

    Will be angry if they change us to the 17-15 as i would have driven down, would also lose us a good night out in Chicago, would prefer the 10-15 myself as staying at heathrow, that is the one they are quoting for next years trips on the website.

    ReplyDelete