About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Monday 23 December 2013

Americas Golden West - First & Best

First time I decided to go on a group holiday was in 2010 (had travelled totally solo previously), anyway a internet search led me to Just You and spotted a holiday I fancied "Music Capitals of the Deep South" so I booked online. However the company contacted me and was told it was cancelled so another look and I decided on "Americas Golden West" a decision that I didn't regret, ended up having one of my best holidays ever.


Another first for me was that it was a touring holiday, I'd only done resort or City breaks previously. Certainly proved an eye opener as you see so much more although anyone considering doing one needs to accept that it'll be hectic with a lot of early starts, well worth living out of a suitcase for a couple of weeks though.

On to the holiday and first thing I remember is that we were given passes to the exceutive lounge which is a cracking idea, gives people chance to chat to others on the trip. There was only 18 of us (7 men and 11 ladies) on the holiday, still the smallest group i've been with. Even with so few myself and Dave both turned up wearing virtually the same shirt, good job it wasn't two Ladies.

First port of call was San Francisco but as we flew via Denver it was quite late when we got to our hotel on Fishermans Wharf, although tired we went out for a couple of drinks, ended up eating in MacDonalds.

Our tour manager Dave was a good bloke and remember he gave me some excellent advice for singles holidays, he suggested every morning sit with a different person at breakfast, I still try do that best I can on every trip I do.

2nd Day it was a city tour of San Fran which was interesting even though I'd been to SF once before, we also did a night tour which was a bit much, think one tour was enough. In between most of us did a bay cruise then went on the tram to the main square before getting the cable car back. Others visited Alcatraz but I didn't bother as had done it on my previous trip and the cruise gives you an excellent view. In all honesty this holiday could do with an extra day in SF.

The evening we all went out for an included meal at a local fish restaurant on one of the piers, ok it was a fish restaurant but I had steak, thats me. Was still nice and think everyone enjoyed. Afterwards some of us went to a music club then a pub was already obvious we had a good crowd and all gelled together.

Following morning we hit the road and our first stop was at Carmel on Sea (thats where Clint Eastwood was Mayor. Its really unspoilt they dont even have street lights and don't allow any chain buisnesses everything is little independant shops, cafes, bars, etc. Remember having a lovely coffee and cake.





Next it was off to drive along the picturesque 17 mile drive, some awesome houses and views, even takes you through Pebble Beach golf course.





Then we moved on to Monterey where we stopped for lunch and a look around the shops, again was very nice place.

Finally on to San Lois Obispo for and overnight stop, remember a lovely restaurant opposite the hotel, sort of family run place.





Following morning we were heading for Los Angeles but not without a couple of interesting stops. First was at a place called Solvang and what a change of scenary may aswell been in Denmark, even had a mermaid same as Copenhagen harbour. The place had been built by Danish settlers and everything resembled their country. I'd never heard of it before but liked it a lot wish we had more time to explore, still had time for coffee and a nice Danish Pastry.

All the time we were travelling through awesome scenary along the California coast and next stop was Santa Barbara. Basically a seaside town with dare I say a bit on Bitish influence. Had a couple of hours to explore which was good because had chance to stretch our legs. This was our lunch stop and I'll let you guess what I had, lol.

After fighting the LA traffic to get to our hotel for a two night stop it was quick shower and change and out for a meal. Found a place down the road and they pushed tables together and got our full group on one big table. This was fine until the bill came as one and there was a big variation what people had orderdered. I hate it when people are counting out money on the table would rather just split it even to be honest (and I'd gone for a cheaper option than most). Lesson learned get bills split into at least smaller groups one bill for 19 people is hard work.

Following morning it was a City tour which took us to Hollywood Boulevard, Chinese Theatre, Hollywood Bowl, Beverley Hills, etc before going to the Farmers Market or Lunch.



After Lunch it was Universal Studios where we were dropped off for 6 hours or so, was great love the place, everthing about it, was just loads of fun. We ate there before we left as it was getting late. On return to hotel decided to get some beer and wine from the local supermarket and a few of us just chilled having drinks in the lounge (the hotel didn't have its own bar).




Following morning we hit the road again heading towards Palm Springs not before a couple of hours in Long Beach home of course to the Queen Mary.


 Before arriving in Palm Springs we stopped at San Jacinto State Park and went up the mountains in the rotating cable car, awesome views.




Will say the hotel in Palm Springs was not great but credit to Just You we all mentioned this in our feedback form and it was changed for future trips. It was a motel type place and a bit grotty by American standards, some of the other people staying there were a bit iffy.
A couple of the ladies weren't happy going to their rooms so we got some wine from the local supermarket and a group of us just sat by the swimming pool most of the night having a laugh, just spent as little time as possible in the room.
One good thing about the hotel it was close to the main street of Palm Springs, remember eating at two cracking restaurants on the nights we were there.

Our spare day in Palm Springs we had a tour of the homes of the rich and famous before going to the living desert where they have all sorts of creatures, was good place to visit.



 
Then it was on to Vegas but not before a stop off for lunch at Calico Ghost town which to me was real interesting, basically its a old mining town that they've turned into a museum. Lunch was in the saloon and the ladies serving were dressed as cowgirls with their 6 shooters.
 
Then it was Vegas for three nights my first visit, couldn't believe the size of our hotel but that was before I'd done the tour and seen the others. Was great fun and our group made the evenings a party, think we were all on cocktails, had a great laugh.


On our spare day most of the group went to the Grand Canyon although in hindsight for me it was a waste of money because I would visit again the following year on a different holiday, going from Vegas means a expensive flight.





One night we did the Rat Pack show, was great fun and I et the lady of my dreams, Marilyn think she was called, lol.


Joking aside its a fantastic holiday that I'd consider doing again sometime, would advise anyone to do it if they get chance.

10 comments:

  1. The trip sounds wonderful and certainly one on my list. I think it was the only one at Christmas time when I was looking for a trip several years ago. Went to South America instead with Journey Latin America.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan,
    Yes it is a great trip and of all the group holidays I've done its the one I would consider doing it again, you see such a variation with the places you visit and all are of interest.
    Hope JY add a day in SF though that would put the icing on the cake for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a similar trip a few years ago and agree it was amazing. My trip was a bit longer taking in San Diego, Sedona, Yosemite, and some other places. Yip lots to see and do in San Francisco so an extra day would be better.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean,
    Not done San Diego or Yosemite although did plan a fly/drive to take in Yosemite ust got to persuade someone to come with me andmaybe do it one day. Have been to Sedona, did the jeep ride there.
    Fortunately I'd don San Fran on my own but others missed out on seeing lots of stuff, definately one more day would improve the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to this trip on 5th October as my JY holiday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise, You will love it, cracking holiday but if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I was 50 before I went out of UK. Went on a western med cruise on my own 5 years ago & have since done a Rome weekend on my own too (through Expedia). Stayed in Dallas for a week with 2 friends who live there - made friends on the cruise) Travelled from Dudley nr Birmingham day before on National Express coach to Heathrow. Printed off my plane ticket & caught hoppa to Arora Hotel for meal & a good night sleep. Got to Heathrow at 6 next morning & got through control to wait for American Airlines flight to Dallas (direct flight). Superb time on flight & Texas people were so friendly. Loved Southfork and the Bush museum. Have a lot of travelling to make up for ! Sorry for such a long reply

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must admit virtually every time I've been to the States have met nice people.

    Its always a good idea to stay over the night before, takes the stress out of the trip. On a number of JY holidays i've arranged through the JY forum to meet up with others that are staying over for a meal, its a great way of meeting others on the trip.

    Did you know that the service busses are free around heathrow and often faster than the Hoppas as don't call at every hotel, the Arora is certainly on the free bus route. I've a post about it with links to maps on this forum.

    I'm off to Spain with a friend in March with Jet2 from Manchester, then with Just You "walking in Tuscany" in April (from Heathrow). Not sure of other plans yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you I have seen the free buses go by while I was waiting for the Hoppa. Will definitely get one of those buses from and to Heathrow in October. Hoping to make contacts with some fellow travellers before I get there. Hope you have a fab time on your holidays & thanks for your blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is the link to my post about (which contains link to bus maps)

    http://micks-travels.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/heathrow-public-transport.html

    Its a num 423 bus to terminal 5 from other side of road and nums 75, 76 & 441 to main bus station (terminals 1, 2 & 3).

    ReplyDelete