About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Thursday 19 December 2013

Samaria Gorge - A long Walk

In the summer I decided to do a resort holiday with Solos for the first time. I wanted to go away for a fornight somewhere I could chill but still find enough to do so I wouldn't get bored. I decided on Crete and one particular day deserves its own post, I put my name down to walk the Samaria Gorge. Will report on the rest of the holiday later.
Samaria Gorge, its one of the longest in europe at 16km long. Sounds nothing but it starts 1200metres above sea level in the white mountains and ends at the coast, the terrain is tough with loose rocks and many places you can slip.
 
Two of our group put (Malcolm and myself) our names down and were collected at our hotel at 5-30am, we had been provided with a packed lunch.
 
The coach collected from a few hotels on the way into the mountains and eventually our guide who we nicknamed Grizzly Adams got on.
 
On arrival we gave him our money to get our ferry tickets and he told us which cafe to meet him at when we've finished the walk. The ferry is the only way out (apart from walk it back uphill) and takes you to the town where you can get your coach, if you dont get there before the ferry you stay overnight in one of the small hotels.
He also told us he would set off an hour after us but be at the bottom waiting. We thought we will show him.
 
There are some very steep downhill sections which really test you knees and calf muscles especially over the first couple of miles. Add to that steaming hot tempretures it was no easy trip, for us none walkers it was tough. Most people take around 6 hours+ to complete and was quite chuffed I did it in less than 5 hours and managed to beat Grizzly Adams back, was sat in cafe when he arrived.
 
The views are stunning but you have to keep stopping to look because while watching you've got to concentrate on your footing.
 
For a couple of days afterwards both Malcolm and myself had really tight calf muscles, it really was a good work out and gave me a real sense of achievement. Bit short of volunteers for a massage among the ladies in our group though.
 
Think in the future I may consider a walking holiday, its sort of motivated me in that direction.
 
Here are some photos from the Gorge :-
 


 
Tree growing out of a rock

Malcolm leading the way.

Local Wildlife
 
 
Onward we go
 
Gets a bit narrow in places.

 Apparently if you get injured the only way out is by horse.
 
This was very nice at the end of the trek.

4 comments:

  1. My brother and family have done this walk Mick. Brother said it nearly killed him at the time! I don't think I could do it now although I might have done at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes 16km downhill doesn't sound hard but it sure is, really hurt afterwards but felt good i'd done it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this brings back memories. I attempted this a few years ago. The temperature was already in the 40s so goodness knows what it was in that gorge. What was I thinking of? I struggle with the heat at the best of times. I thought I was going to collapse with heat exhaustion. I spoke to a local afterwards and he was talking about all the 'silly tourists' who think it's just a stroll and end up needing medical attention. Well done for finishing it.
    Jean
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes its tough going and the rocks certainly magnify the heat, was a lot struggling thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete