About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Tuesday 17 December 2013

City Break - New York My first adventure

Back in June 2005 I went on my first ever holiday on my own and decided New York was a place I wanted to visit. It was my first ever trip to America and was a little nervous so decided 6 days in the City would be ideal. On the same trip I doubled it up with 5 nights in Chicago (more abot my fav city later) as it made sense to visit two places if I was going across the pond.



Wasn't confident enough to sort my own flights and hotels out so a local travel agent did it for me and he couldn't have done better with location of hotels.

On arrival I got a taxi from the airport and the driver got talking to the driver as he liked footie, he was from Ghana and went to school with a Leeds Utd legend Tony Yeboah.

In New York I stayed at the Park Central which was on 7th avenue half way between Times Square and Central Park, easily walkable to both. Added bonus was that all the contestants from a beauty competition were staying at the hotel, very nice.

Its one holiday I remember doing lots of walking in red hot tempretures and was shattered by the time I left, had done loads of research before I went and wanted to see so much. Also got a pass for the subway which proved useful.

Will admit think my lack of confidence at that time limited how far i went on a evening, would nowadays look for live music but back then it was out for a meal and a couple of beers at the hotel bar. It was mainly theatres near the hotel not what i would do on my own.

On arrival and after getting settled in my room it made sense to have a walk down to Times square which isn't really a square at all just a place where a few roads meet, plenty of bright lights though.










After a good nights rest i set off the next day to explore initially the area around my hotel and found Radio City Music Hall was cose by aswell as the Rockerfeller centre if i remember correctly. Then it was onto one of the "must do's" and went up the Empire State Bulding. The views in all directions were stunning.


Talking of big had a good look around the worlds largest department store "Macy's" where I got a bite to eat for lunch.
Next stop was the guided tour around Madison Square Garden which I really wanted to do. Always been a big sports fan and do like boxing which as so much history at this venue. While we were there New York Liberty womans basketball team were training which was interesting to watch.









Next day was put aside for central park got the subway up to the top and spent the full day wandering about exploring it all. Got some cracking photographs great to have such an area in the middle of a big city.












Following day initially I went to Ground Zero as felt it had to be do while in the City, to be fair it was just a building site not sure what I expected, just unbelievable what happend.







Then it was the subway through Brooklyn as I wanted to visit the holiday resort of Coney Island, massive beach and a good aquarium which was worth a visit. The area is a little run down since its hey day in the 50's & 60's bit like our seaside towns.
Past the famous hot dog restaurant Nathans where they have the world hot dog eating championships every year.
Had lunch at another famous bar "Rubys" on the boardwalk and had a look at the famous funfair.







On way back got talking to a
Police officer he even took my photo holding his batton.



Got back to downtown Manhatten mid-afternoon and decided to go to the Sea Air Space Museum which is basically an aircraft carrier with a number of exhibits, really interesting and worth a visit.
Even have one of the Concords there along with plenty of other aircraft.

Next day it was down to the South tip to catch the ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, again must see sites in my opinion. Sadly they wouldn't allow me up the statue because security were only letting so many people up each day.

On my return i walked over to South Street Seaport on the East river and get a good look at Brooklyn Bridge. After that was Wall Street before walking the length of south Manhatten back to my hotel, was a few mile but went through some interesting areas.



On my last day caught up seeing some of the places i'd missed such as Grand Central Station, China town, Little Italy, etc.






Certainly plenty to keep you occupied in NY City, definately a full week wouldn't be too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment