About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Saturday 28 December 2013

City Break - Seattle with a Kiss

Seattle is maybe a place that many people wouldn't consider visiting as a tourist but in May 2007 I decided to have a look and spent a week there. Well its a trip i really enjoyed and managed to fill my time in with no problem at all.

It as the nickname "The Rainy City" but despite forcasts predicting rain and a few cloudy days I never saw a drop. 

I like walking to explore places and must warn people its very hilly, nothing is on the flat so your legs and lungs get a good workout. On the plus side the public transport (buses) are free around the City Centre so its just a matter of jumping on and off. If you want to go further afield its only around 2 dollars so very reasonable. Always a good idea to learn the local transport system when travelling alone as taxis are expensive with only one to pay. Even used the bus to get me to the airport at the end of my trip.

So what is there to do in Seattle -

Head towards the harbour area you can't miss Pike Place Market (indoor), its really old but interesting to find your way around. Its mainly fresh produce Fish plus fruit & veg but a few touristy type stalls aswell.

And if you fancy a coffee and you don't know Seattle is home to the origional Starbucks, just across the road from the market.



There is also a touristy area that can be walked or you can catch the monorail, its called Seattle Centre with a few things to see and do including a few rides and other attractions. The Space Needle is located here and no visit to the City would be right if you didn't take a ride to the top to look at the views out over Elliot Bay.






Also in this area is the Experience Music Project where you can have a go at playing instruments either jamming with others or on your own, not sure anyone will be signing me up for lead guitar though. Was great fun enjoyed it.

 Was also a lovely big food court, had lunch here on more than one occasion.

On another day got the bus to Woodfield park where there is a walking track around a lake. Its also home to a big Zoo so decided to visit.

Seattle like many other big cities has its fair share of beggars and one made me laugh. While others had boards in fron of them saying the usual stuff such as "4 kids to feed", "vietnam vet", etc this one read "Father Killed by Ninja, need money for Karate lesson", 10 out of 10 for effort, lol.

Of course Seattle is home to Boeings "Museum of Flight" which is a fantastic, never seen so many aircraft of all shapes and sizes, spent a good few hours there.
Its just outside the City so I took the bus as usual, it was quite an interesting journey through some rundown areas. Felt everyone except myself were crack heads, although nothing happend it was a bit intimidating i felt for someone travelling alone. Still well worth it I think.

Of course they had a concord aswell as one of the old Air Force One planes that you could go on.






Another day took a harbour cruise which gives you great views of the city. If my memory serves me right you could get all day cruises up to Vancouver Island and Whale Watching but didn't really have the time.


However I did go to a district to the north of the City called Magnolia and to a place called Discovery Park. Its virtually a large area of woods with a lot of walking trails and I spent the a enjoyable day exploring it. Some of the trails lead to Cliffs overlooking the Bay it was there that had a fantastic exerience, I was just having a sit down and rest when a massive Eagle flew really close to me before swooping down the cliffs, was a awesome sight but just couldn't get my camera out quick enough. Reckon it had a 5 to 6 foot wing span.




Another day i took the ferry across the bay to West Seattle where there is a good beach a few walking trail and some nice coffees, wasn't really beach weather though.

 Did go to a football match but have done a seperate post about that.


 As for other entertainment wasn't impressed with the local music scene, not near my hotel anyway. Was a few nice pubs to eat and one day spotted an English Pub advertising "Yorkshire Puddings" on their menu. The Pub was called "Elephant and Castle" was a nice place but what they served up as Yorksire Puddings would be grounds for divorce in these parts.

You are probably now wondering what the Kiss part of the title of this post is about. Well I was in the Pub sat at the bar minding my own buisness when a group of young ladies came in. After they had got their drinks i was aware they were looking at me, eventually a couple of them came over and asked if I would mind if their friend kissed me.
Was a gobsmacked but as a gentleman was happy to oblige.

They did explain it was her Hen Party and she had a number of challenges to do, one was to kiss a stranger, was nice to be the chosen one.


No comments:

Post a Comment