About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Tuesday 16 December 2014

City Break - Boston - Where everbody knows your name

Back in summer 2007 I decided to visit Boston for a short City Break and must admit its a place worth visiting and you can find plenty to entertain you for 4 or 5 days.
Its a bit different to the more modern American Cities, its more like a small British City with narrow streets which isn't surprising as we built it.
Its easy to get around on foot although it does have a small subway system and the centre is only a few stops from the airport which saves exspensive transfers.

Ok memory is a bit sketchy but using my photos here is a few of the things I did while over there :-


Boston isn't the cheapest for hotels in America but i found a decent deal at a small place called the Milner Hotel and it was adequate for me. The room was small but it was clean and actually incuded breakfast which was great. Location was great very close to Boston Common. Got talking to someone in a local bar and learned that it origionally (back in the day) was a Brothel and had been converted into an hotel.

 Boston Common is nice and a great place to chill out in the afternoon which i did on more than one occasion after a day site seeing.
 Wallking around Boston you come across lots of interesting places inluding the famous Quincy Market, excellent place to grab a bit of lunch.
 Around the market area was lots of street performers, bit of everything. Most impressive were a group of acrobats that actually turned out to be English.
 One day I decided to walk the Freedom Trail which goes from the Common to a Naval museum across the river.
The walk takes you through some historical areas and is about 2.5 mile long (so 5 mile as i walked both ways).
Got to mention that Boston is a big Baseball town an as a sports fan had to visit Fenway Park. To be honest though cant really understand the American love of this game, not one of my favorite sports.
 

 Another day jumped on a ferry which visited a number of small islands (Harbour Islands) where you got a good view of the Boston skyline.
You could get off at a few of the islands, some nice walks, beaches, etc. On one was Fort Warren an old civil war fort.

Remember visiting Salem on the ferry from Boston harbour as it was very hot and thought a boat ride a good idea planned to get the 4pm ferry back to Boston. I was really sticky after walking the streets in such high tempretures so I decided to grab a quick pint at about 3pm on my way to the ferry dock. Now let me tell you I don't normally drink during the day but that beer tasted so good, it never touched the sides. Well one pint led to another and I got chatting with the locals when I realised it was nearly 8pm and thats when the last ferry leaves. I was so close to missing it, almost spent the night sleeping under the stars in the home of witches.


 Of course a visit to Boston wouldn't be complete without doing lunch at the Cheers bar.
It was next to the common just opposite side to where my hotel was but only a 10 minute walk.
 While i was there think we were trying to take it back as redcoats were parading around the streets.
 Was also a big road race although not the famous Boston Marathon, but plenty taking part. Felt sorry for them as the tempretures were excessive.
Tallest building was the Prudential tower, not sure how it compares with places like New York or Chicago for height. Still it has some great city views from the top.










One thing I'll say about Boston there are plenty of Irish Pubs which is good if you are on your own as i've said in previous posts its no fun eating in restaurants unless with a group or as a couple.
Only thing I'll add is that I think most are owned by the same company as the menus are all the same.

So thats Boston, worth a trip I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment