About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Monday 23 December 2013

Phiadelphia - Wont be going back




Another American City I visited was Philadelphia (in 2007), just fancied it given the history, well basically I knew the Liberty Bell was there (think its a former capitol), I love Philly Cheesesteak and of course the Rocky films were from there.







Think I did 5 days and if I'm been honest one day would have been enough found the place a big dissapointment. First of all my hotel (Comfort Inn) was close to Penns Landing and opposite the Benjamin Franklyn Bridge which i thought would be great, trouble is it was wedged between two main roads and to get anywhere I'd to make my way alongside one road then cross 6 lanes of traffic to the Landing, then it was over a footbridge to get into the downtown area.

Yes the historic district was nice and there was some decnt shopping areas but always felt the whole place was dodgy. One couple at my hotel got robbed, the lady had the straps of her handbag cut.
The main areas seemed safe enough but the whole area changed within just one or two blocks, so easy to wander into the wrong area.

Remember one day decidig to walk to the Italian Market and as I was half way there remember thinking I shouldn't be wandering around this neighbourhood. Not joking it was a throw back to how you see America in the 1950's flms with litter lining the streets.
Still the Market was good and you could get some nice tasting food (did I mention I like Philly Cheesesteak).

In the City Centre was a much larger indoor market, could get anything there nd I had lunch there a couple of times (Philly Cheesesteak of course, would be rude not to when in the City).


Of course went to see the Rocky statue (yes it actually exists), its near the steps he runs up in the film. Amazes me they have the statue and not one for an actual real great boxer and heavyweight champion Joe Frazier who came from there.








As for nightlife was a couple of blocks not far from the hotel after negotiating the roads full of bars and restaurants a real mix of quite posh places and pit & sawdust bars, was ok but nothing great to be honest.

Talking of music we all know Chicago & New Orleans have Blues & Jazz, Nashvillie as Country, Detroit as Motown, Memphis has Blues, etc well Philladelphia as DooWop. Yes them kids who stand on a street corner belting out tunes still exist. In fact while I was there they had a Doowop festival at Penns Landing so I just had to go.

On a different day also went to a Mexican festival some of the outfits they were wearing where stunning, not much else to doin Philly though.







Did get the ferry across the Delaware river one day to Camden waterfront where there is an aquarium and a couple of ships you can visit.

Thats about it, seen it and wont be going back but at least the Police cars were in Leeds colours.












No comments:

Post a Comment