About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Friday 20 December 2013

2014 Plans - Chicago My Kind of Town

As you will have read elswhere on this Blog Chicago is my favorite City, partly because its got loads of things to do, partly because its a very clean City, partly because the locals are very friendly and partly because I love the music Clubs in particular the Blues.
 
 

Well its my intention to go this year in June when the Blues festival is on (13th to 15th) which is the largest free Blues festival in the world. Never been when its on but have been more than once during the July "Taste of Chicago" which was great fun.
 
Last time I had a proper holiday there was with my partner in 2009 but have been twice since, in 2011 with some mates (lads outing) for a long weekend and had a day there at the start of my Just You Route 66 holiday in 2012.
I'll also be visiting in November on another Just You holiday "Americas Heart and Soul" (Chicago to New Orleans via St Louis & Memphis).


My aim is to go for 9 or 10 days, seems a lot in one city but I've plenty things i'm planning that I'll see and do as you'll see if you read on.

As for costs, yes I've a budget first of all I'm monitering Flight/Hotel deals and hope to get a deal around £1300 (maybe less), currently best I've seen is about £1550 (4 star hotel) but reckon Jan or Feb will be best time to book price wise when hotels often have discounts. Of course will go for an hotel in the centre, it costs more initially but saves a fortune on taxis and you waste time travelling in and out. In Chicago I reckon its best to stay in either the River North/Gold Coast or Loop then most things are walkable, also very safe areas.
Obviously transfers from the Airport is usually an extra cost but not really an issue because would use the subway to get into the city, can get a CTA 7 day pass for subways & buses for only $28 which will get me everywhere i want to be (including from the airport). Would try to do the stuff nearest hotel on last 3 days or just get single tickets or shorter pass which would also get me back to airport.
Things I'll be visiting, well before I go would get a City Pass online which is $86 which allows you in 5 main tourist attractions and allows to queue jump :-
Museum of Science and Industry (its a bus ride to the south side but a fantastic museum), some hands on stuff and definately a full day needed to get around.
Field History Museum - Another big museum and you'll meet Sue the tynnasauras rex skeleton. think about the film "night at the museum".





Art Institute - I've never been but 2nd biggest in America, may be of interest, be silly not to have a look.
Willis Tower - Got to go up the biggest building in North America was formerly Sears Tower.
Aquarium - sharks/dolphins you name it plus includes 3D film show of choice.
other than the MSI they are probab half day attractions so 3 days in total filled using he pass.


Can exchange a couple of the attractions for the Planeterium (which isn't that good in my opinion) or Hancock Tower which will do on my JY holiday later in the year.

 
On the Sunday morning I'm there would visit Maxwell street market which is historically the immigrants market, may get some bargains and best mexican food outside Mexico apparently.

Then would spend the afternoon at the festival, would visit on the 3 days its on (fri, sat & sun) just would pre-check  when the best acts are on. Its free so just walk in and out, 3 stages i think in Grant Park.

Millenium Park which is a good chill spot and home to Cloud Gate and Buckingham fountain two famous land marks are nearby.







Another full day I would  be visiting Lincoln Park, probably get the train or bus to the north end and spend day walking back (bigger than Central Park in New York) it contains 3 harbours and the Zoo which is the largest free zoo in the world.





Would also do the Untouchable tour its $30 takes you around old gangster haunts and tells you about the likes of al capone, bugsy moran, dillinger, etc. never done it before but have to phone to book when in the city, it lasts about two hours in middle of the day.
Navy Pier is a must visit place a few shops, restaurants, fairground rides, etc and the Beer Garden is a great place to chill out for a couple of hours especially if they have a live group on the stage.


Have also been checking and you can do a 2 hour mini lunch cruise (3 course) for about $50 which goes out on the lake for fantastic city views. its one of the best city skylines in the world. To be honest if travelling solo would just do a Lake boat trip but if can talk others into coming the mini-cruise would be great.
 

Another place I'd like to visit on this trip as I've not been there is Oak Park which is Ernest Hemingways birthplace but the area is designed by architecy frank Lloyd Wright, reckons to be very scenic with some amazing houses. A guide book I've got suggests a walking route so would follow that.
Couple of things worth doing but as they are covered on my JY holiday in November I wont do on this trip are the Architecture river cruise (Chicagos architecture is 2nd to none) or go up the Hancock tower (better views than Sears).
Could have at least half day chilling at one of the beaches, some superb beaches trust me on that one.
 
If I feel energetic could even hire a Bike and go exploring along many of the Cycle Paths along the Lake Shore or in the any Parks.





And probaby even more of interest to any Lady readers is Chicago is renowned for its shopping, the magnificent mile is equivellant to New Yorks 5th Ave, the even have a Macy's but thats on South State street.

And of course for the Blokes Chicago is very much a Sports City and is not out of order to visit some of the magnificent Stadiums. Wrigley Field & US Cellular are home to Baseballs Cubs & White Sox while Soldier Field is Chicago Bears home. Never seen an Amercan Fotball Match or Baseball on my trips to the States its got to be a consideration, not really into them sports its just the experience of doing it once.
The Ice Hockey play at the 20,000+ capacity indoor arena United Centre actually went to see a Blackhawks match on one trip.
Not forgeting the World Cup is on while I'm there so will need to find a good Sports Bar when England Play.
 
My daly is I usually go out in the morning and as Breakfast isn't usually included sort of grab something on way to what I've planned for the day, then just snack as required. Usually aim to get back to the hotel late afternoon for a couple of hours rest (power nap) before getting ready to go out for meal and entertainment s its often a late night.
 
As for the nightlife Chicago as it all I could give you a big list of live music venues, most of the small clubs the cit is famous for, blues clubs, piano bars, jazz clubs, etc, have gotta be done in Chicago. There is sometimes a cover charge but isn't expensive maybe average of $10.

 

It also has a theatre district and if its your sort of thing why not, I would like to see this as its getting good reviews - http://www.milliondollarquartetlive.com/






Food and drink is similar prices to over here you can eat cheap or expensive and everyone virtually serves food, a lot of good Pubs that I often eat in but will push the boat out and do a nice restaurant two or three times, some cracking places.
 




2 comments:

  1. Ah wonderful Mick. I've only been to Chicago once for 2 nights and I loved it. I did Willis Tower in April. I even stood on The Ledge! I went to Buddy Guy's Blues Club and luckily for me he happened to be in that night and did a wee turn. Then I got my photo taken with him. I was chuffed to bits.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean,
    A few of us at the start of the Route 66 holiday in 2012 visited Buddy Guys and he was in that night also, seemed more interested in watching the Baseball on TV than the music though, lol.
    Hope you get to go again (think you will as get impression its your type of town also), I'll give you some other good Clubs to visit, my favorite is Blue Chicago on Clark street, its small and doesn't do food (just music) but virtually next door is an Irish Pub called Fado, very nice place and good food so visit both the same night. Loads of places though.

    ReplyDelete