About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Thursday 23 January 2014

Parks & Canyons - Not Long enough

In June 2011 I did the "Parks & Canyons" holiday with Just You and really enjoyed it for two reasons, first you see some great places and secondly was a great group of people i hung out with. That was Liz, Rachel, Eirian, Mike, Paul & Trevor if you are reading any of you drop me a line, sure we often did our own thing during the day but always ate together having some good laughs on a night.
Some of us did have a bit of a reunion get together after which involved a day out in London which was good.
Anyway on to the holiday and the only thing I would say is 8 nights isn't long enough and I feel Just You need to add 2 or 3 more nights.

It involves starting in Phoenix Arizona and travelling to Las Vegas having two nights in each as well as in Flagstaff and a small town in Utah I can't remember the name.

 Phoenix is anice clean modern city and we had a interesting tour but more to my liking was Old Town Scottsdale so on the way back I opted to get off and have a look around others decided the hotel swimming pool was a better option.
Remember having lunch at a place called the Rusty Spur saloon which was good, they even had live music on.

 Was a little story getting back I was told which service bus to get and to look our for the Starbucks, it was one long road so couldn't go wrong could I.
Well nobody mentioned there was more than one starbucks and I got off 2 miles before the hotel and had to walk in temptretures over 100f, was shattered when i got back, at one stage wasn't sure i was going in the right direction and had to call in a shop to ask.
On the evening we were taken for a meal and more live music to a place called Rustlers Roost it was on a hill overlooking everywhere and was apparently a old outlaws hideout, all good fun.




 
On leaving Phoenix we were travelling through the desert we stopped for a few photo shoots along with plenty of Indian trading posts.  On this photo i didn't hang about too long as a nice big snake started to rattle its tail behind me.

We called at Sedonna where we took a jeep ride into the hills whic again was great fun and some fantastic scenary.



Two nights in Flgstaff and remember 1st night eating at a traditional Route 66 diner which had to be done then on the 2nd night our gang got a taxi into the town centre. Found a cracking restaurant with a Pub attached and even better they had live music on so had a excellent night out. One word of warning to anyone visiting Flagstaff is take your woolies although its in the middle of a desert its at altitude and got really cold at night.

Of course we visited the Grand Canyon and as I'd previously done the helicopter flight i decided to walk so far down the mule trail. Now two hours is easy one hour down and turn around and back in a hour. With the altitude my lungs burned coming back up should have given myself more time.




Another place we visited was Lake Powell where we had a nice relaxing boat trip.










One highlight for me was Little Hollywood (Kanab) where we had a meal with sme more live music before taking part in a bit of a mock film, again was great fun. This is a place where lots of westerns were made including my favorite "The Outlaw Josey Wales".







Now although the Grand Canyon is awesome with its size and a must see attraction, Bryce Canyon is something else, fantastic to spectacular don't think photos can do it justice. The bus called at three view points but wasn't staying on and a good few of us took the option of walking around the rim trail to the pick up point.





We also visited Zion National Park and again got a nice walk this time along the stream/river that flows through the park, very beautiful part of the world.



Eventually got to Vegas for a couple of nights partying before the long journey home, remember one night doing the City tour and the other the Rat Pack show (my 2nd time u still enjoyable). I didn't do the day tour of Vegas as had done it the previous year so visited a few of the theme hotels that I'd not been in before.

Other than that "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas".

No comments:

Post a Comment