About Me

Travel has always been a passion and in recent years through various reasons I've had the opportunity to follow my dreams and continue to do so.

Many times travelling Solo making many friends along the way.
In fact this blog started life about Solo travel and plenty of information on here for those wanting to go it alone.

Please add comments to any of my posts by using the link at the bottom, they will be moderated to avoid Spam.

If you would like to message me you can email to - mick_w@rocketmail.com

Happy to try to answer any questions i can answer through my travel experience.


Tuesday 14 October 2014

Blues Highway here I come (part 1)

Not long now before I do a dream trip for me when i travel with a Just You group on their Americas Heart & Soul holiday.
Although we will be travelling on the Interstates the holiday will be following Route 61 (Blues Highway) which traditionally goes from New Orleans to Chicago.
We of course are going in the opposite direction and as well as the two great cities named will have stops in both St Louis & Memphis.

Of course all four Cities are known for their great music scene and one thing I'll be doing that isn't on the schedule is visiting many clubs and taking in the local scene, love my Blues but am up for it all.
Anyway I've been doing a bit of research and over next few posts will tell you about my intentions when I'm over there.
Certainly could be a few late nights and I'm sure they'll be a few others that love the music and wont mind been with the tired ones on the bus and tag along, got to get most out of the holiday and the music is important.

I know Chicago well as been numerous times and have also been to both St Louis (twice) and Memphis (once) so have a good idea what i want to do in those places but i'm going blind into New Orleans so will have to trust others and my instincts. Not quite finalised exact places I'll visit on a night as most places haven't got their music schedules up yet (but watch this space).

Away from night time I wont be doing the City tour in Chicago, the Arch in St Louis, Lincolns home in Springfield as these are things I've already done in the past.

I do intend to visit the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago, its a long while since I've been and about a 30 minute bus ride from the ciy centre. Amazing place though one of the best museums i've been to and certain to be new things to see.

Probably also not do the City Tour in St Louis also (did it on route 66 holiday two years ago) but may visit Union Station instead, can do it on the Metro.

Although I've been to Memphis (9 years ago) i didn't get to Graceland so thats something I'm really looking forward to and of course the included Gospel Concert is a must.
Think the Jazz Cruise will be great and I've booked the optional Swamp Tour in New Orleans so they are things that I'mreally excited about.

Dissapointed we are driving past Clarksdale as its the "birthplace of the blues" and would love my photo taken and the Crossroads and visit the Delta Blues museum. Still cant do everything and its sure to be a great trip.

Can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment